Spill Control Products Knowledge CenterStormwater_Products
Stormwater Guidelines & Rules

  • Qualified Facilities

    SPCC regulations cover land-based oil processing and storage tanks, drilling structures such as platforms and rigging, and vehicles used to support these types of operations. Offshore storage and drilling apparatus, including vessels, also fall under SPCC guidelines. Equipment involved in the
    transfer of oil such as hoses and other gear must be in compliance. Over-the-road vehicles and railroad cars that transport oil within a processing facility, like a refinery, as well as pipelines used for on-site moving of petroleum, are all required to meet SPCC standards. Furthermore, facilities that are public, commercial, industrial and agricultural must adhere to these guidelines.

    back to SPCC Guidelines
  • Storage Types & Amounts

    EPA rules stipulate oil storage equipment as being any container capable of holding
    55 gallons or more. This includes tanks, drums and similar containers. In addition, electrical equipment such as large transformers, circuit breakers, cooling systems, hydraulic apparatus and lubrication machinery must comply with SPCC rules. Facilities with a total above ground storage capability of at least 1,320 gallons or underground capacity of more than 42,000 gallons must comply with EPA guidelines.

    back to SPCC Guidelines
  • Environmental Threat

    Storage and processing facilities located in areas where a spill could contaminate waterways used by ships and other vessels, or spoil adjacent shorelines, must adhere to SPCC standards. Consideration of land contour and how it may affect the direction of flow in the event of a spill is an important factor in determining facility regulation. In addition, the effect a spill will have on nearby rivers, streams, lakes, ponds, wetlands, storm drains and farming drainage systems will further determine guideline eligibility.
    All offshore oil drilling and storage systems are regulated by SPCC rules.

    back to SPCC Guidelines
  • Reporting Spills

    Oil released into a body of water in an amount creating discoloration on the water surface, known as a sheen, causing a violation of water
    quality regulation, and producing sludge below the surface or buildup on nearby shoreline must be reported immediately. Contamination of water and wetlands used for business activities such as commercial fishing or navigation of boats, as well as recreational activities that can be harmful to public health should be reported to the National Response Center (NRC) operated by the EPA. Furthermore, spills affecting water and shoreline in lakes, rivers, marshland and other areas that may cause oil to flow into a larger body of water used for commerce must be reported to the EPA. The individual responsible for the operation of a land-based or offshore facility or a vessel must immediately notify the NRC of a spill. Contact information for the NRC is located in the resource section.

    back to SPCC Guidelines