BUY_DISCOUNT_ABSORBENTS manufacturer direct absorbents Spill Control Products Knowledge CenterSpill Control Products Farm Ag SpillSpill Control Products Farm Spill Overview
Questions, need help? Open Live Chat Window with a Spill Source Product Expert - Click Here
What should I do?

If your farming operation meets the criteria the program requires you to prepare and implement
an SPCC Plan. If you already have a Plan, maintain it. If you do not have a Plan, you should
prepare and implement one. Many farmers will need to have their Plan certified by a Professional
Engineer (“PE”), but you may be eligible to self-certify your amended Plan if:

-Your farm has a total oil storage capacity between 1,320 and 10,000 gallons in aboveground
containers, and the farm has a good spill history (as described in the SPCC rule), you may
prepare and self-certify your own Plan. (However, if you decide to use certain alternate
measures allowed by the federal SPCC Rule, you will need a PE.)

-Your farm has storage capacity of more than 10,000 gallons, or has had an oil spill you may
need to prepare an SPCC Plan certified by a PE.

-If you are eligible to self-certify your Plan and no aboveground container at your farm is
greater than 5,000 gallons in capacity, then you may use the Plan template that is available
to download from US EPA’s Web site at:

To meet the Tier I self-certification criteria, your farm must have:

a total aboveground oil storage capacity of 10,000 U.S. gallons or less;

-no aboveground oil storage containers with a capacity greater than 5,000 U.S. gallons; and

-in the 3 years prior to the date the SPCC Plan is certified, had no single discharge of oil to
navigable waters or adjoining shorelines exceeding 1,000 U.S. gallons, or no two discharges
of oil to navigable waters or adjoining shorelines each exceeding 42 U.S. gallons within any
12-month period.

When should I prepare and implement a Plan?

-Farms in operation on or before August 16, 2002, must maintain or amend their existing
Plan by November 10, 2010.

-Any farm that started operation after August 16, 2002, but before November 10, 2010, must
prepare and use a Plan on or before November 10, 2011.
NOTE: If your farm was in operation before August 16, 2002, and you do not already have a
Plan, you must prepare a Plan now. Do not wait until November 10, 2010.

What information will I need to prepare an SPCC Plan for my farm?
(The following questions can be filled in on the templates provided on the EPA website)

-A list of the oil containers at the farm by parcel (including the contents and location of each

-A brief description of the procedures that you will use to prevent oil spills. For example,
steps you use to transfer fuel from a storage tank to your farm vehicles that reduce the
possibility of a fuel spill;

-A brief description of the measures you installed to prevent oil from reaching water (see next

-A brief description of the measures you will use to contain and cleanup an oil spill to water;

A list of emergency contacts and first responders.

What spill prevention measures should I implement in my SPCC Plan?

-Use containers suitable for the oil stored. For example, use a container designed for
flammable liquids to store gasoline;

-Identify contractors or other local personnel who can help you clean up an oil spill;

-Provide overfill prevention for your oil storage containers. You could use a high-level alarm,
or audible vent, or establish a procedure to fill containers;

-Provide secondary containment for bulk storage containers, such as a dike or a remote
impoundment. The containment must be able to hold the full capacity of the container
plus possible rainfall. The dike may be constructed of earth or concrete. A double-walled
tank may also suffice;

-Provide general secondary containment to address the most likely discharge where you
transfer oil to and from containers and for mobile refuelers, such as fuel nurse tanks mounted
on trucks or trailers. For example, you may use sorbent materials, drip pans or curbing for
these areas; and

-Periodically inspect and test pipes and containers. You should visually inspect aboveground
pipes and inspect aboveground containers following industry standards. You must “leak test”
buried pipes when they are installed or repaired. EPA recommends you keep a written record
of your inspections.

How and when do I maintain my SPCC Plan?
Amend and update your SPCC Plan when changes are made to the farm, for example, if you add
new storage containers (e.g. tanks) that are 55 gallons or larger, or if you purchase or lease
parcels with containers that are 55 gallons or larger. You must review your Plan every five years
to make sure it includes any changes in oil storage at your farm.
What should I do if I have an oil spill?

-Activate your SPCC Plan procedures to prevent the oil spill from reaching a creek or river.

-Implement spill cleanup and mitigation procedures outlined in your Plan.

-Notify the National Response Center (NRC) at 800-424-8802 if you have an oil discharge to
waters or adjoining shorelines.

-If the amount of oil spilled to water is more that 42 gallons on two different occasions within
a 12-month period or more than 1,000 gallons to water in a single spill event, then notify
your EPA Regional office in writing.

For additional assistance:

Contact the California Farm Bureau Governmental Affairs Division:
916-446-4647 or see all pertinent information on the US EPA website:

Call or send an e-mail to the EPA Ag Compliance Assistance Center: 1-888-663-2155

Call the Superfund, TRI, EPCRA, RMP, and Oil Information Center:
(800) 424-9346 or (703) 412-9810 TDD (800) 553-7672 or (703) 412-3323

**To Download Flyers and Brochure PDF's Below click image to start**

page6-featured_stormwater page6-stormwater-full-brochure page5-hazmat_pipe_plugs page2-sorbent_specials-2